Pages

Motherhood has a very humanizing effect. Everything gets reduced to essentials. ~Meryl Streep

Any mother could perform the jobs of several air traffic controllers with ease. ~Lisa Alther

Now, as always, the most automated appliance in a household is the mother. ~Beverly Jones

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sleep Little One

In Korea, children usually sleep on the floor with their parents. The family sleeps on a mat called a "futon." Both my children slept this way with their foster families. BG's pre-flight report said that she slept with her foster mother and was a very light sleeper.

Since BG has come home, DH and I been sleeping with her on an air mattress on our floor. We did this with BB as well. After about a month, my independent little boy started to let us know that he had enough of that arrangement. We were able to lay down with him on our bed until he fell asleep. Then we transferred him into a pack-n-play, and eventually into a crib in his own room.

BG is a whole different story! She is a sweet little cuddle! She reaches out for us throughout the night, checking to make sure that we are still there. Co-sleeping is also excellent for bonding. As we go through the bonding process, BG needs to learn that we are right there ready to meet her every need. As shared with us in the report, she does wakes up VERY easily. Letting her fall asleep and then moving her is near impossible.

Since she seems to be adjusting well and we feel she is really bonding with us, we are making a move to more independence with her sleeping. I love to snuggle with her, but I am not a huge fan of air mattresses! This week we got her a "toddler" air mattress (travel bed). We think if we can get her comfortable sleeping on her own, without touching anyone, then we can eventually work on getting her used to the crib.

As I think about the "sleep issues" that both my children have from time to time, I am struck by how strange our culture is that we expect little children to sleep in their own room by themselves. I sleep so much better knowing that my husband is in my bed, close by me. We are social creatures! As we have these periods of sleep difficulties, I am going to try to keep this in mind. My children are only doing what comes naturally to them! We all like to snuggle down at night with the ones we love.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelly, I am catching up on old posts. We ended up co-sleeping just before Penn was born. Carter is 4 and Penn is 2 1/2 now and Penn still checks to be sure we are near. It's not always easy, but it is so nice to have them close especially if they are not feeling well.

    It is strange how our culture expects little ones to sleep alone so early.

    I am glad that you and your family are growing together!

    Love,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete